Empowered by community
A lot has changed at the Saginaw Children’s Zoo since 1929, when Commissioner George Phoenix of the Parks and Cemeteries Department established the Zoo on the corner of Ezra Rust Park. In the spring of 1930, the Saginaw Children’s Zoo consisted of a beaver, a coyote, a fox, bears, raccoons, timber wolves, owls, hawks, and a deer.
Now, nearly 90 years since we began, we have over 150 individual animals living at the Zoo (not counting the insects). Our 10 acres of tree-filled park land is also home to colorful gardens, a miniature train, and the region’s only hand-carved carousel.
The Saginaw Zoological Society took over management of the Zoo from the city in 1996 and continues today.
Thanks to a county millage passed by voters in 2014 — along with the support of our dedicated members, volunteers, and donors — we plan on sticking around another couple centuries.
Empowered by our community’s show of support, we do what few “little zoos” do…we think BIG! We’ve premiered a new improvement or exhibit every year for the past decade.
And our best work is yet to come!