We currently offer internships with our Animal Collections department. Our internship programs provide hands-on, real world experience for individuals interested in pursuing careers in an animal care field. While our internships are unpaid, they offer long-term, intensive working experiences that relate directly with your preferred course of study. Upon completion of internships, we are more than happy to offer appropriate recommendations and advice.
Animal Collections Internship Program provides a hands-on experience that allows participants to acquire transferable skills in the zoo keeping field. Individuals will be able to work directly with invertebrates, reptiles, birds, and mammals (including primates and carnivores).
We will hold internships throughout the year, every three months:
Spring – March 1st to May 31st
Summer – June 1st to August 31st
Fall – September 1st – November 30th
Winter – December 1st to February 28th
All sessions will start and end on or around dates listed. Availability is limited to 3-4 individuals per session. This is a non-paid internship.
Deadline to Apply
Please apply at least one month prior to internship start date. Individuals interested in applying for the Summer Session are advised to apply several months in advance, due to limited availability.
- Ability to work a minimum of 27 hours a week and will be allowed to work a maximum of 40 hours per week.
- Over 18 years of age and attending or be a recent graduate from an accredited university with a degree or major in a related field.
- Ability to provide a current, negative, Tuberculosis test and a Tetanus vaccination that has been done within the last five years upon acceptance.
- Completion of the online application form
- Pass background check
- Upload cover letter and resume with three references
- Answer specified questions
- Reliable, flexible, outgoing, and energetic.
If you have any questions about the internship program, please email Sarah Shuler at email@example.com.