Zoo Family Classes
Bring your family and check out the Zoo in a whole new way. On select Saturdays this winter, the Zoo will hold Zoo Family Classes in our new Conservation Classroom.
- Price - $25 for two people, $10 for each additional person.
- Woo at the Zoo - $50 per couple
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- (suggested ages are listed for each program)
- Programs are 2 hours from 1 - 3 pm on Saturday.
- Woo at the Zoo - 5 - 7:30 pm
- Pre-Registration is required.
- Payment is due at the time of registration.
Schedule for Winter 2009
- November 14th – Enrichment Extravaganza
- December 5th – What Goes Around Comes Around – History from the Carousel
- December 12th – Delicious Diets
Schedule for Winter 2010
- January 23rd – Enrichment Extravaganza
- February 13th – Woo at the Zoo – 5:30 - 7:30 pm
- February 27th – What Goes Around Comes Around – History from the Carousel
- March 13th – Delicious Diets
- March 27th – Enrichment Extravaganza
- April 10th – What Goes Around Comes Around – History from the Carousel
Enrichment Extravaganza (5 years and older)
What keeps the animals at the Zoo busy? Find out all about environmental enrichment in this exciting class. Learn about the types of enrichment and why it is so important to animals here at the Children’s Zoo. Then you will get to try your hand at making exciting enrichment for selected Zoo animals. To end the class, watch our animals tear apart and destroy all your hard work!
What Goes Around Comes Around – History from the Carousel (8 years and older)
This informative, fun and history-filled class will present the history of Saginaw from a totally unique perspective – the Celebration Square Carousel at the Children’s Zoo! Using the actual paintings and carvings from our carousel, the history of Saginaw will unfold before your eyes in living color. These exquisite paintings and carvings will make old Saginaw come to life in ways no written history can match. You will spend some time in the Conservation Classroom learning about the historic events that inspired the drawings and carvings of the carousel. Then get a chance to see the carousel up close and really examine its beauty, and take a ride on all the history. There may even be a few friends to visit your class.
Delicious Diets (8 years and older)
Ever wonder what the Zoo keepers feed all the animals at the Zoo? Find out how important nutrition is and be amazed by how much work goes into feeding the Zoo animals. Just like humans, keepers have to watch what the animals eat. Some time will be spent in the Conservation Classroom learning how important nutrition is, and how we develop the diets at the Zoo. Then get a tour of our Commissary where all the animal diets are made. You'lll get a peek into our freezers and you will be surprised at what you find: there is no ice cream here. You may even get an opportunity to feed one of our Zoo animals!
Woo at the Zoo (18 years and older) – 5:00 – 7:30 pm
Bring your sweetheart to the Zoo for a special Valentine’s Day class. Learn all about the art of attraction in the animal world. See how birds and other animals pick that special someone. Dinner of sandwiches and salad will be served at 5 p.m., with talk starting at 6 p.m. Fee for this class is $50 per couple. Call the Zoo for more details on this special class.