Children's Zoo at Celebration Square
- Turkey Vulture
- Oldest known specimen: 20.8 years
- Average Wild Lifespan: 10-17 years
- Length: 25-32 inches
- Wingspan: 67-72 inches
- Weight: 2-4.5 pounds
- Ranging from the Southern border of Canada all the way to the Southern-most tip of South America.
- Open and forested areas.
- Turkey Vultures are well adapted to living in any environment with a supply of carrion.
- Fresh carrion of small animals is preferred, but they will also eat larger animals that have decayed longer, rotten fruits and vegetables, and domestic animal dung
- Yearly breeding season between March and June in North America
- 1-3 eggs per season
- 30-40 days incubation for an egg to hatch
- 70-80 days before young are fledgling
- 80-90 days to independent offspring
- Turkey Vultures are one of very few birds that rely on their sense of smell to locate food.
- Because of their keen sense of smell, Black Vultures, another species of vulture, will follow Turkey Vultures around to steal food from them.
- Based on their wing surface to weight ratio Turkery Vultures have light wing loading. This makes them more buoyant in air meaning they can use thermals more effectively while using less energy to stay adrift in air longer than other birds.
- CITES – Not Listed
- IUCN –Least Concern
- AnAge: The Animal Aging and Longevity Database. Accessed September 2016. http://genomics.senescence.info/species/query.php?search=turkey%20vulture
- Animal Diversity Web. Turkey Vultures. Accessed September 2016 http://animaldiversity.org/accounts/Cathartes_aura/
- Appendices I, II, and III of CITES. (February 5, 2015) Accessed September 2016. http://www.cites.org/eng/app/appendices.php
- IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. (2015) Accessed September 2016. http://www.iucnredlist.org/apps/redlist/search
Admissions staff is responsible for selling admission tickets and ride tickets, maintaining a balanced cash drawer, checking in incoming groups, managing rentals of accessibility equipment. Requires proficiency with computers.
Concessions staff prepare and sell the concession food and drinks, maintain a balanced cash drawer, and clean and sanitize the kitchen equipment.
Exhibit educators greet visitors with a smiling face and facilitate safe interactions within our animal contact areas; the goat yard, the kangaroo walkabout, and the aviary.
Grounds staff are responsible for cleaning, maintaining, and closing the facilities. Including cleaning bathrooms, walkways, emptying trash/recycling bins, mowing lawns, etc. Requires proficiency with small engine equipment such as lawn mowers.
Ride operators conduct the train and carousel while facilitating a safe environment for visitors on the rides and ensuring visitors treat the equipment with respect. Must be at least 18 years old to operate rides.
Zoo store employees are responsible for handling the sales of zoo merchandise from our gift shop, maintaining a balanced cash drawer, and restocking merchandise. Requires proficiency with computers.
Interested applicants should fill out the application below and mail to or drop off in person at:Children's Zoo at Celebration Square
1730 S. Washington Ave.
Saginaw, MI 48601
Assist with outreach programs, participate in amphitheater shows, be a counselor at a zoo camp, and more. Requires a consistent time commitment on the same days of the week for a couple hours at a time because of the nature of the programs.
Our beautiful gardens don't just happen, it takes a whole team of volunteers to maintain! Garden volunteers weed the gardens, trim shrubberies, and water. A gardening schedule is made in advance for the season, however, once trained, volunteer gardeners may come when they wish to work at their leisure.
Do you enjoy working with your hands while outside on a beautiful day? Grounds maintenance is for you! Mowing lawns, weed whipping, assisting in general maintenance of the facilities. No specific time commitment required!
Conduct the famous Zoo train or operate the region’s only hand-carved carousel. Ride operators conduct the train and carousel while facilitating a safe environment for visitors on the rides, and ensuring visitors treat the equipment with respect. Requires a regular commitment of at least 4 hours at a time. To ensure a safe ride for everyone; you must be 18 years of age to operate the rides.
Did you have an amazing time at one of our events? Events happen because of the dedication of volunteers. From working booths, to helping set up the facilities, we can always use an extra set of hands on our busiest days. Perfect for volunteers that want to volunteer only once or twice a month.
Teenagers are welcome to participate in our zoo crew program. More information is located HERE
Kids, candy, toys and smiles are what the Zoo Store is all about! If you enjoy helping kids of all ages satisfy a sweet tooth or find just the right little plush penguin or slithery lizard toy to take home, you’ll enjoy volunteering in the Zoo Store. Whether you have lots of time or just a little bit, we’d love to have your smiling face and helping hands making our visitors happy. Zoo store volunteers are responsible for handling the sales of zoo merchandise from our gift shop, maintaining a balanced cash drawer, and restocking merchandise. Proficiency with computers is required.
Animal Collections Internship
Animal Collection Internships offer the opportunity to gain an understanding of what it takes to maintain a vibrant animal collection in a zoological park setting. Internship positions are considered volunteers.
Education Internships offer the opportunity to gain an understanding of the various types of programs used to educate the public about the natural world in a Zoological Park setting. Internship positions are considered volunteers.
Social Media and Communication Internship
Social Media & Communication internship offer the opportunity for an individual to gain experience communicating a business’ mission and vision with the public in an effective and engaging way. Internship positions are considered volunteers.
If you are seeking an internship for a different department, please send a letter briefly describing the type and requirements of the internship to:Children's Zoo at Celebration Square
Attn: Zoo Internships
1730 S. Washington Ave.
Saginaw, MI 48601